Saturday, October 6, 2012

Sweet Evil Read-Along: Week 1 - Road Trip

I am so super excited to be taking part in a read-along for the very first time, and I couldn't have wished for a better book. The wonderful Mindy of Magical Urban Fantasy Reads is hosting the amazing Sweet Evil Read-Along, and there is still time to join in. All you have to do is click on the banner below.


Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins had literally been collecting dust on my shelf for the last two or three months. I was so thrilled when I got it and meant to read it right away, but the way it sometimes goes, I just never got around to it. So, obviously, when I saw there was going to be a read-along for it, there was no way I wouldn't participate. I have only managed to read the required chapters for week one so far, but I am loving it, and I know I'll be going right back to it as soon as I'm done writing my post.

*****

So for every week, there will be theme to talk about. The theme for the first week is

 ROAD TRIP!!!

The last road trip I went on was a  little over a year ago when my parents and my brother came to visit us (my other half, my little man, and myself) here in Canada. We went on a week-long trip through parts of Ontario and Quebec.

The first couple of days were a little bit stressful. Our little man wasn't even three at the time and didn't really enjoy being in the car for hours at a time. After the first two or three days, he got used to it and actually seemed to enjoy it. He just loved sleeping in different beds every night - he didn't get that from me. ;)

The one thing I absolutely love about road trips is that you actually get to see the countryside and how it changes along the way. It's amazing how you can go from seeing huge mountains to seeing beautiful water everywhere.


One thing my dad really, really wanted to do more than anything else, was go whale watching. Even though, it was very pricey, my dad wouldn't back down and so we got to go on a boat to watch for whales. We got lucky and really did see some whales and a few seals, as well. We saw some beluga as well as fin whales. It was super hard to take pictures though. One second they were up and before you knew it, they were gone again. I did get an okay picture of a minke whale though. I thought at first it was a dolphin, but the guide said they were minke whales. It's a little bit blurry, but I was ecstatic just to actually get one on a picture.





By pure coincidence, we came across Santa's Castle - which, of course, was closed when we were there. Our little man still got to look at the stuff they had displayed outside. His favorite day, however, was when we went to Granby Zoo and he got to see all the amazing animals. That was quite the day for him. :)








My favorite part of the road trip was seeing Montmorency Falls near Quebec City. They are 84 meters (275 ft) high and the view from up there is simply stunning.




If I could have my choice on our next road trip, I would grab my two boys and take them to my childhood home back with my parents in Germany. Though, I guess most of that trip wouldn't actually be on the road, but rather in the air. :D

*****

Well, this shall be it for my week one Sweet Evil Read-Along post. Now, I would love to hear from you, my dear readers. What was your favorite road trip? What would your dream road trip look like? What is the best thing about road trips?
I would love to hear from you!


3 comments:

  1. Oh Yay!!! I'm glad you are liking Sweet Evil! Wale watching....LOVE IT! That waterfall looks amazing! I've been to Niagara Falls...and to the Thousand Islands. That was pretty cool. That would be cool to go to Germany. My hubby lived there for a couple years but all of his family is from Scotland and Ireland...oh and he has some family in England and Australia, so I doubt we'd ever visit Germany. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing! Though, I can't believe I forgot to put my mini review into the post. *sigh*

      Oh, I live very close to the Thousand Islands!!! :D I spent my first 24 years in Germany before I decided it was time to move away. I spent the next two years in England and then came to Canada. My whole family is still in my old hometown in Germany though. :)

      Both Scotland and Ireland are so beautiful though! I've only been to Edinburgh and Dublin, but loved them both. And hey, I'd take a trip to Australia any day!!! *lol*

      Thanks so much stopping by, and most importantly, thanks so much for hosting this wicked read-along!!! :D

      Delete
  2. All the pictures look so great!
    Whale watching sounds so fun! I would love to visit all these places.

    ReplyDelete