Saturday, April 14, 2012

SSRC: My Soul To Keep


Wow, I cannot believe month three of the Soul Screamers Reading Challenge is almost over. The challenge, which is, of course, hosted by the amazing Rachel over at fiktshun, is over halfway done, but there is still plenty of time to join in on the fun - simply click on the gorgeous SSRC button.
Oh hey, I just noticed how perfectly the SSRC button and this month's book "My Soul To Keep" work together with all their purple beauty.

Last month I was in a little bit of a panic situation, and even though it's the last day for this month's challenge, I'm pretty relaxed since I finished the book a couple of days ago and still have a few hours to finish this post.

As I have already mentioned, this post is dedicated to "My Soul To Keep" which is the third book in Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series.

  
  


Goodreads description:

Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them.

Until something does. 

Demon breath. No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends—one of whom is already hooked.

And so is someone else…



When I first picked it up to start my second read-through, everything was a little bit hazy. I couldn't remember a lot of the details, but once I started reading, everything came crawling back. One thing I had totally forgotten, however, was the long wait for my favorite reaper, Tod, to appear. It seemed like forever for him to show himself, but when he did, it was on! There are so many things he said and did - even some of the smallest gestures - but I can't share any of them because I wouldn't want to ruin anything even just the tiniest bit.

As for Kaylee, with everything she has been through already, this is probably the toughest and most emotionally draining experience for her. Honestly, if it would have been me, I probably would have felt like curling up into a ball and hiding in a dark corner somewhere. Not Kaylee though - or if she does, she surely doesn't show it. Once again she puts herself in harm's way in order to save the ones she loves the most, even after being betrayed. I have said it before and I'm saying it again, I admire Kaylee's strength and loyalty and utter selflessness.

I cannot believe how hard it is for me to write this post. There are so many things I want to say and talk about, but it would include so, so many spoilers...

Nash... well, this is the book which proofed me right. I always felt a certain way about him and now it all came true. I won't say any more...

I can't talk about "My Soul To Keep" and not mention Avari. He is so purely evil, it's extremely frightening. Seeing Addison again and hearing Tod talk about the things she has to endure each and every day is simply sickening. The incredible joy he feels in other people's misery and pain is simply disturbing. This book really showed why he is the "Hellion of Greed". He is one selfish and greedy son of a gun.


We also get a new edition to our "gang". Alec. Oh, how I like Alec. This might sound weird, but I liked him right away. There was just something about him, I found intriguing. I guess I kind of have a soft spot for him. I'm really glad Rachel Vincent decided for him to show up and be a part of this amazing world she has created. 

*****

It's always so incredibly hard to pick a favorite scene or quote because everything seems to be too spoiler-y. There are so many things I would love to share, but I just can't without giving way too much away. So, this time I decided on a quote from Emma. Some might consider it semi-spoiler-y, so if you're worried, just skip over it. Part of the reason I chose this one is that it shows why I love Emma so much. Yes, she is very loyal, but she is also not afraid to be brutally honest - even with Kaylee. Here is a little piece of her honesty which I love, love, love.


"I'm just saying guys only come in a couple of models, and Nash didn't exactly break the mold. So lay off my boyfriend until you're ready to take a closer look at yours."



I found another quote I love and that I can actually share. I did take out a name though, just in case. The first sentence is from Kaylee and the reply is Tod's - you didn't think I would do a post and not include something Tod-related, did you?


"You were supposed to get rid of [...] without hurting the host!"

"Yeah, I didn't get that memo. Maybe next time you should be a little more specific when you boss me around while I'm saving your ass. Though, frankly, this whiny little shrew is lucky she only has one bump, 'cause she's had this coming for a while."


Ah, Tod, never has any problems coming up with a genius comeback. I loved this whole scene, jeepers, I loved the whole book - even more than the first time which seems to be a reoccurring theme with every book. So amazing!!!

This shall conclude my little post and now I'm anxiously awaiting my inter-library-loan copy of "My Soul To Steal". My library doesn't carry any of the Soul Screamers book, but I did request it, and hopefully, they will get it from another library soon.

*****

Now it's your turn! What did you think of "My Soul To Keep"? Is it maybe your favorite book in the series so far? Do you have any favorite scenes or quotes? I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you are enjoying this Soul Screamers Reading Challenge as much as I am.



2 comments:

  1. Great review! I just finished the series yesterday, and I am excited to read the next one. I felt the same way about Nash. Have you read My Soul to Steal? I had trouble finishing it because of Nash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by!!! :)

      I haven't read "My Soul To Steal" as part of this challenge yet, but I did read it last year. I don't think I had trouble finishing it, but I know I got mad a few times while reading it. One particular character is just so infuriating. *lol*

      I'm so glad you're enjoying this series!!! :D

      Delete