Wednesday, March 14, 2012

SSRC: My Soul To Save


I cannot believe I actually finished reading this book in time. Just yesterday I thought there was no way I would be able to make it, but those day time cold pills really do work wonders to perk you up. I'm still sick, but at least I feel like I have accomplished something today.

As you can already tell by the lovely purple button, this is another post for the Soul Screamers Reading Challenge which is hosted by fiktshun. There is still time to sign up, simply click on the button.

I only have a little more than hour left to post this, so I better get at it. A fair warning ahead of time, since this will be mostly my thoughts, they might get a little spoilery if you haven't read the book yet. You have been warned!


"My Soul To Save" is the second full length novel in Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series.


Goodreads Description:
 
When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies.

So when teen pop star Eden croaks onstage and Kaylee doesn't wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can't cry for someone who has no soul.

The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad's ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend's loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld -- a consequence they can't possibly understand.

Kaylee can't let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk...


Reading this book a second time around, I wasn't sure I would be enjoying it as much as the first time, simply because I remembered liking the other books much more than this one. Well, I was wrong. I loved it so much more than the first time. It is filled with so much heart-stopping action, the adrenaline is constantly flowing and leaves you hardly any room to breathe.

Kaylee is such an incredibly strong and passionate character, it amazes me every single time. I think this might be the most selfless she's ever been - the way she puts other lives before her own, is astonishing. Even being on the edge of death, she still stands up fearlessly for her friends - and not quite friends. I don't know where she finds all the courage and power to do it.

Anybody who knows me, knows I am not a very big fan of Nash's, but one of my favorite quotes from this book is actually from him. I loved it. It made me laugh, and I felt like high-fiving him after he said it. I won't say who he said it to, just in case, but it was part of an awesome rant of his. Here's my favorite sentence:

"[...] So if you have any further complaints, you can lodge them right up your own ass, [...], because nobody here gives a damn who you are or how much you're worth.[...]"

I just love it, and cracked right up again.

As for Tod, oh Tod... I don't think there is a book where he is more infuriating than this one. There were times I had to remind myself how much I really, really like him, because he made it so darn hard to trust him. It is also the first book where he shows some real emotion - every time he is around Addison, you can feel his desperation and his need to want to save her. We get to see a side of him you don't really expect after only reading "My Soul To Take". With all the terrible things going on, he still hasn't lost his sense of humor though. One of my favorite lines of his really made me laugh, and I think the reason I like it so much, is because it has a lighter touch in contrast to the dark reality they have to face.

"Anything else? Can I fan you with a big palm leaf? Feed you grapes while you write your homework in my blood?"

Then there is Avari. He is one creepy and scary character.  The way he was fascinated by Kaylee is simply disturbing. I still get chills all over just thinking about him...


This shall conclude my post for "My Soul To Save". I cannot wait to read "My Soul To Keep" for this month's challenge, and I will make sure not to be cutting it this close again.

How about you? What were you impressions? Have you read it before or was it your first time reading it? I would love to hear you thoughts!


6 comments:

  1. Oh I agree that Tod was totally infuriating in this one, but he it did show just how loyal he was to someone he cared about.

    And I totally loved this book more than I remembered. It was so exciting! And I loved at the very end that one part where Kaylee was made a certain Nash observation. I was like "NOOOO!"

    I love your review and thoughts, Ina. Thanks for sharing!

    And those quotes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, however crazy this is, I loved the end with Tod and Kaylee. His last words to her are still giving me the chills...

      Do you mean on the very last page? If so, oh gosh, when I was reading that, I just kept thinking "if only you knew..." It was kind of heartbreaking, even for me. *sigh*

      It was so hard to pick quotes that weren't too spoiler-y, so I just decided to go with ones that made me laugh. :)

      Thank you so much for your nice words, Rachel!!!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, awesome review! You're totally right on all counts! And I love both those quotes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mag!!! Yay, I'm glad you love the quotes too. :D

      Delete
  3. Ina...
    :D I wish I had written a proper review so you could see and read my thoughts the first time I read this book >.< LOL I LOVE that Nash Quote! AND the Tod-ness was awesome in this book! Though I didn't like him much...still you already know my thoughts in the book haha
    ^_^
    Can't wait for My Soul to Keep!!!
    Thank God we finished on time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alba!!! It's okay, just talking to you about I get an idea of how you felt back then. ;)
      When Nash said that I felt like jumping up and down and shouting "You tell her, Nash!" *lol*
      Tod, oh how I love Tod, but I did have to remind myself of that sometimes. Well, but what else do you expect from a reaper. :D
      Gosh, yes, thank goodness we finished in time! That was quite the rush. *lol*

      Delete