Sunday, January 15, 2012

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - review


Goodreads Description:

Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.



It's been a week since I've read "Shatter Me", but I am still thinking about it. It is such an incredible and powerful story that it takes your breath away at times. Juliette is one of the strongest heroines I have ever encountered in a book. With everything she has been through in her life, it's a wonder she doesn't just resign and wallow in self-pity. Instead, she doesn't give up, she is strong-willed and fearless.
Then there is Adam - sweet, caring, adorable Adam. Every girl needs to have her own Adam, that's all I am going to say about him. Of course, if there is a good boy, there also has to be a bad boy. Warner is pretty much evil incarnate - he has a very dark personality and does horrible things. However, Juliette seems to sense some good in him, so even though you really want to hate Warner, there are times where you wonder if he is really all bad. Something must have,obviously, made him this way.

Tahereh Mafi has created an intense story that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end. You will not want to put this book down, ever. Even when it's over, you will be gripping the book, wanting more.


******

As a side note: This is the first review I've ever written, so please don't be too hard on me. I seriously loved this book, and even though my review is fairly short, I hope it came across how much I enjoyed it. Now, go read "Shatter Me" if you haven't already. :)

4 comments:

  1. Awesome review Ina. You said it perfectly! Congrats on your very first review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rachel! Your opinion really means a lot to me! :)

      Delete
  2. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    completely perfect!!!!!!! couldn't have said it any better!!
    YEY for your first review ;) and no better way than to start with awesomeness SHATTER ME! *-*
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED this book soooo much it seems surreal sometimes I just have to go back to my book shelf and look for it to remind myself that Yes, it is real and YES, I own it T_T
    I'm lucky
    loved the review! and so glad you loved the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Alba!!! I actually felt a little intimidated because of it being "Shatter Me". I was so worried I wouldn't be able to do it justice. I'm so glad you guys like it, though. I guess I'll be writing a few more then. ;

      Delete